When it comes to dinner, I’ve been around long enough to know that the kids don’t like what the grown-ups love. And the grown-ups don’t love what the kids like. My tweens push collard greens around their plates at the same rate I snub bowls of orange mac and cheese. Finding a happy medium can be hard, and eating pizza every night is totally off the table.
So, what’s a loving, doting parent to do? Well, the first thing is: you keep feeding your kids. Whatever you want them to eat, you feed it to them. Even if it’s collard greens. Even if they don’t like them at first. Or at second. Or for the first half of their little lives. You just introduce and re-introduce really good eats over and over again. And eventually, they start to come around. Really, they do. Even those toddlers who have eaten nothing but yogurt for four months straight. (Yes, that happened once at our house many years back. That toddler is now an aspiring teen gourmet. It really does get better.)
The second thing you do: Find a few recipes that everyone absolutely loves. When you mix in a few kid-favorites that parents adore, too, you’re teaching those tots that dinner isn’t always a struggle. Don’t take them out for burgers whenever they want. Do find some killer family-style favorite eats, and eat them! Everyone will eat. Everyone will win. Even you will be happy.
Where to start? This recipe right here. We literally have never met anyone that didn’t go crazy over the heaping piles of homemade Crock-Pot Chicken Taquitos served for dinner. This recipe is perfect for kids. It’s perfect for parents. It’s awesome for parties. And it’s really, really easy to make, using only 5 ingredients.
To make this recipe, grab your slow cooker in the morning, and fill it with chicken, cream cheese, and taco seasoning. Add a little water to keep it all moist, then cover and cook throughout the day.
Once baked, these taquitos are ready to serve! We love setting out a bowl of salsa, but blending up a little ranch dressing with cilantro is crazy yum, too. No matter how you serve it, we have a sneaking suspicion everyone who eats at your house tonight is going to be smiling from ear to ear.
Crock-Pot Chicken Taquitos
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours and 35 minutes
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 taco-sized flour tortillas
- Place chicken breasts in a 2-3 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning, add cream cheese cubes, and water. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or for 4-6 hours on high.
- Unplug the Crock-Pot. With two forks, shred the chicken in the Crock-Pot, add cheddar cheese, and stir to evenly coat the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Then spoon shredded chicken into the center of the flour tortillas. Roll tightly. (This step is so easy, even kids can help.) Then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spray generously with olive oil spray.
- Cook in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes, or until tortillas are crisp. Serve with salsa or cilantro-ranch for dipping.
The post CROCK-POT TAQUITOS: FINALLY A MEAL THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN ENJOY appeared first on Viral Hug.